In September 2020, Institute TOMS was given the latest accreditation certificates by Glencore Technology (Australia) for running UFG testing in a stirred mill – IsaMill M4.
In August 2020, Institute TOMS (Irkutsk) in partnership with Thrane Teknikk initiated testing of a fine screening technology using Derrick Stack Sizer 2SG 48-60R-1STK by Derrick Corporation.
On the 12th of May 2020, Institute TOMS received an official confirmation from JK Tech Pty that the testwork quality and the personnel competencies are in conformity with high international standards.
In June 2020, a new up-to-date laser particle size analyzer Malvern Mastersizer was installed and put into operation in Institute TOMS.
In March 2020, engineers of Institute Toms and Köppern met in Irkutsk to exchange about the challenges in iron ore concentrate re-grinding with HPGR and to perform a collaborative test work series on iron ore concentrate.
Mineralogical research includes sample preparation for the studies, petrographic, chemical and mineral content study of different types of ore, detailed study of base ore minerals characteristics with their chemical composition determination, as well as precious metals characteristics.
Conventional and innovative research methods using state-of-the-art equipment are used in mineralogical investigations.
The study of material composition includes the following types of works and research:
- preparation of transparent, polished and pellet specimens;
- material size distribution characteristics with basic elements determination in size fractions;
- petrographic composition study;
- material chemical composition determination together with separate phases of valuable components;
- mineralogical analysis with determination of ore quantitative mineral composition;
- determination of ore sulphidity and oxidation level;
- study of heavy fractions composition using both a stereomicroscope and a polarization microscope for briquette specimens;
- image analysis of ore minerals using a mineralogical analyzer Mineral-C7 for solid materials;
- physical and chemical characteristics of gold, silver, platinum, and palladium;
- size distribution characteristics of any valuable component;
- gold and silver phase analysis;
- automated mineralogical quantitative analysis using the Qemscan system (Quanta FEG-650 F SEM, iDiscover software).